Families

Of course no family line is alone in its history. Although a surname passes down from the father from generation to generation, through marriage there are many lineages woven together to form a unique ancestry. This section explores some of the many families of our particular branch of the Halliday family.

Many of the surname histories have been drawn from the Internet Surname Database and do not have the same level of research as the four main family names.

The coat of arms displayed here are only used to show the family relationships and are do not necessarily belong to a specific individual in our family. For interest, this image shows all of the known coat of arms for our branch of these families arranged in a tree of ancestry.

Farish

The Farish family married into the Halliday family through Andrew Halliday and Elizabeth Farish in 1913.

The Farishes were a longtime Dumfries family who lived in Maxwelltown for several generations. Frank Farish himself came from a line of joiners (carpenters) following in his father's and uncle's footsteps. Later his grandson Frank would also take up the trade. Frank's grandfather, also called Francis, was a blacksmith from Kirkmahoe.

Frank was the second child in his immediate family named Francis. He had an older brother who died at age 3 before he was born.

This photo shows Frank Farish and his wife Mary and their four children from around 1905.

This unusual surname is of Scottish origin, and is an Anglicized form of the Old Gaelic "Mac-Fhearghuis", son of Fergus, a male given name composed of the elements "fe(a)r", man, and "gus", force, vigour, prowess. Written as "Ver gusti" in ancient Celtic, the name signified either "manly choice" or "supreme choice" from the Celtic "fer", anly, and "Gustus", choice. Fe(a)rgus and Fearghas are the oldest known Gaelic forms of the name. In A.D. 470, one Fergus Mac Erc, Prince of Dalrida in north Antrim, crossed to the country since called Scotland, with his brother Angus, and founded the Gaelic Kingdom there. They took with them the Stone of Destiny, now in the Coronation Chair. In the process of Anglicization "MacFhearghuis" acquired many variant forms including: Fergus, Ferris, Farris, Farish, Fariss and Faries; McKeras, McKerris, McPheries and McFeris being earlier Anglicized forms.

For more on the history of our branch of the Farish family see the Hallidays here.

 

Henderson

The Henderson family married into the Halliday family through John Halliday and Isabella Henderson in 1888.

Isabella's father was James Henderson, a train engineer who lived with his family in the Tinwald area. James tragically was killed by a locomotive in 1876, although the circumstances are not known. James' own father was a grocer originally from Durisdeer.

Henderson is an ancient Scottish name, the patronymic form of Hendry, which is a mainly Scottish variant of the personal name "Henry". Some bearers of the name Henderson are descended from Henrysons, the "d" being a common intrusive element in many languages between "n" and "r". Henry itself is from a Germanic personal name composed of the elements "haim" or "heim", home, and "ric", power. It was introduced into England by the Normans after the Conquest of 1066 as "Henri". In Scotland the Hendersons of Fordell in Fifeshire are the chief Lowland family of the name, and are believed to be descended from an old Dumfriesshire family of Henrysons.

Clan Henderson claims descent from the Pictish prince Big Henry, son of King Nechtan (Eanruig Mor mac Righ Nechtan), who in 1011 came to Kinlochleven in Lochaber, just north of Glen Coe. Over time, the descendants of other prominent Henrys took the same name, and eventually these families coalesced into a single clan identity. They lived at Callert, on the north shore of Loch Leven, until they were evicted by Clan Cameron in the fifteenth century. In 1511 the lands of Fordell in Fife were given to Clan Henderson by King James IV. The southern Hendersons spread eastwards from Dumfries to Liddesdale, although they never became one of the great Border families. In 1594, when the Scottish Parliament listed the Border families who were accused of being outlaws and "Border Rievers", Henderson was not included.

 

Jolly

The Jolly family married into the Farish family through Frank Farish and Mary Jolly in 1886.

Mary's father, Samuel Jolly was a cattle dealer who was a topsman (cowboy) in his youth, and a merchant later in his life. Like most of the Jollys he was born in Borgue, Kirkcudbright and he and his family lived all around Galloway, gradually moving east towards Dumfries by 1871, where they lived in Maxwelltown for many years. His father James Jolly was also a cattle man for many years, before he and his wife settled down as innkeepers in Borgue. Samuel's brother Alexander drowned at age 39.

This photo shows the Jolly family grave near Borgue.

Jolly is an example of that sizeable group of early European surnames that were gradually created from the habitual use of nicknames. These nicknames were given with reference to a variety of characteristics, such as physical attributes or peculiarities, mental and moral characteristics, or to habits of dress and occupation. In this instance, the derivation is from the Middle English and Old French "joli(f)", merry, lively, appy, originally denoting someone of a cheerful disposition. Perhaps the ultimate origin of the word lies in the Old Norse "jol", the midwinter festival when people celebrated the gradual lengthening of the days.

 

Muir

The Muir family married into the Halliday family through John Halliday and Helen Muir in 1851.

Helen's father, William Muir, was a church officer from Crossmichael. Her brother William was a tailor.

This Muir surname, with variant spellings Mure, Moor, Moore and More, is likely derived from Irish Gaelic for "sea or ocean" and Scots Gaelic for "big". Muirs are thought to have descended from the Pictish Celts, of both Ireland and Scotland. It also may be a Scottish and North English topographical name for someone who lived on a moor or in a fen, from the Old English "mor", a moor or in a fen, from the Old English "mor", a moor (medieval English "more"), or it may also be locational from any of the various places named with this word, for example "Moore" in Cheshire.

Clan Muir claims decent from the Mures of Rowallan in Aryshire, the but the clan is also an armigerous clan (without a chief) and so the surname is often considered a sept of the Clan Campbell.

 

Wilson

The Wilson family married into the Henderson family through James Henderson and Agnes Wilson in 1865.

Agnes' father, Robert Wilson, was a master blacksmith who worked for the new railroads around Dumfries. He was a widower who remarried a young widow, Henriette Beck Douglas in 1834. John Halliday would marry two of Robert's grandchildren.

This distinguished surname, having more than seventy Coats of Arms, and with as many notable entries in the "Dictionary of National Biography" is of early medieval English origin although recorded throughout the British Isles. It is a patronymic form of the male given name Will, itself a diminutive of William. Introduced into England by William, Duke of Normandy, and known to history as "The Conqueror" , William soon became the most popular given name in England. The Norman form and that borne by the Conqueror, was "Willelm", a spelling adopted from the Frankish Empire of the 8th century. The name is a compound which originally consisted of the elements "wil", meaning desire, and "helm", a helmet which offered protection.

 

Thoreburn

The Thorburn family married into the Farish family through Thomas Farish and Elizabeth Thoreburn in 1846.

Recorded in several spellings including Thorburn, Thoreburn, Thorbon, Thurbon and Thurborn, this surname is English. It is a derivation from the ancient Norse (pre 7th Century) personal name 'Thor-biorn'. This originates from the gods name 'Thor' as in the modern weekday 'Thursday', and 'biorn', a warrior. The Vikings and the Anglo - Saxons were very keen on these compounds, as were the eleventh century Norman's, who themselves were of Scandinavian origins, and jokingly known as 'The walking Vikings'. This all round international popularity accounts for the survival of the name into the later 'surname' period, when many 'Olde English' baptismal names were lost.

 

Dinwoodie

The Dinwoodie family married into the Jolly family through Samuel Jolly and Elisabeth Dinwoodie in 1845.

Elisabeth's father, Walter Dinwoodie, was a ploughman or miller from the Tinwald area, north of Dumfries.

This photo shows the Jolly and Dinwoodie family grave near Dumfries. The date is was taken is unknown but assumed to be from around the turn of the 20th century. Another family name shown on the headstones, the Walkers, demonstrates a close bond between these families.

Dinwoodie is a Scottish name of territorial origin from the lands or barony of Dinwoodie in the parish of Applegarth, in Dumfriesshire. The original etymology of the place name is uncertain, possibly it derives from the Welsh words 'din', forest and 'gwydd' - shrubs or bushes. Various interpretations have been suggested for the ancient meaning of the name. "The castle of the dismal gallows", "the hill of the widow's castle", "the castle of the wanton", "the castle in the wood", and "the castle of the wager or pledge" have all been suggested.

It is thought that the original Dinwoodies were either Normans who settled in the area with Robert DeBruce, or indigenous Celts already living there. The earliest mention of a Dinwoodie appears in the record of the first Feudal Court held by William DeBruce, the Lord of Annandale, at his Castle of Lochmaben, in 1191 A.D. Dinwoodie would have been one of the landed nobility who were vassals to DeBruce. This court was held in preparation for the First Crusade. DeBruce, his knights and retainers, accompanied King Richard on this crusade. It is therefore likely that a Dinwoodie was a crusader.

The Dinwoodies were landed nobility until 1620 when Lady Jean Dinwiddie died without an heir. She had previously resigned her position in favor of her husband's family, the Maxwells, and the estate and title passed into their hands.

The Dinwoodie clan was never very large - at most numbering about 40 men. They had generally allied themselves with the larger Clan Johnstone in the many inter-clan feuds, and border raids. With the dissolution of the Lairdship, many of the families apparently migrated to other areas. One of the prominent families moved to Glasgow where they became successful merchants and community leaders. From this family came Robert Dinwoodie who was colonial governor of Virginia. Others of the family moved to Dumfries where they were merchants, artisans, etc. The largest concentrations of individual family members over the years have been been in the Glasgow, and Dumfries areas.

 

Dalrymple

The Dalrymple family married into the Jolly family through James Jolly and Wilhemina Dalrymple in 1815.

'Willie' Dalrymple was from Mochrum, Wigtownshire. Her father James appears to have been a currier - a tanner and leatherworker.

This name is of Scottish locational origin from the old Barony of Dalrymple in the former county of Ayrshire (now part of Strathclyde). How the lands gained their name, however, is debated. Early records of clan members mention James Dalrymple, who was a witness on a charter of Robert, Earl of Fife in around 1390. James Dalrymple of Stair (1619-1695) was created Viscount of Stair by King William in 1690. The name is also believed to derive from the Gaelic elements 'dail' meaning 'territory' 'croim', crooked , plus 'puill', a stream. Hence, 'the territory of the crooked stream'.  The clan Dalrymple enjoys a distinguished history in Aryshire.

 

Dickson

The Dickson family married into the Henderson family through Samuel Henderson and Isabella Dickson about 1840.

This interesting surname is a patronymic from "Dick" a medieval pet form of Richard, one of the most popular names in the 11th and 12th Century, deriving from the Anglo-Saxon "Richard", itself from the Old Germanic personal name made up of the elements "ric", power, and "-hard", hardy, brave, strong (found in the pre-7th Century in England, but was popularized by the Normans after the Conquest of 1066), plus the diminutive "son", son of. The personal name was first recorded in the 1220 Curia Rolls of Lancashire, when one Dicke Smith was mentioned and "Dik", was recorded in the Assize Court Rolls of Cheshire in 1260. The patronymic "Dikson", meaning "son of Dick", first appears in 1332, in the Subsidy Rolls of Cumberland. A Coat of Arms was granted to George Dixon of Rainshaw, Durham, on September 14th 1616. 

 

Immigrants to the New World

Below are a list of immigrants important to our modern Halliday family in Canada.

  Year Origin Boarded Landed Destination Ship
Frank Farish and son James 24/03/1911 Dumfries, Scotland Liverpool, England Halifax, Nova Scotia Winnipeg, Manitoba Victorian
Andrew Halliday 1911 Dumfries, Scotland ? ? Winnipeg, Manitoba ?
Mary Jolly and children Elizabeth, Samuel 01/06/1912 Dumfries, Scotland Glasgow, Scotland Quebec City, Quebec Winnipeg, Manitoba Pretorian