The Hallidays: Dumfries to Winnipeg

By Christopher Bretz


George Halliday the Blacksmith

The earliest Halliday we have reliably traced our family line to is George Halliday of Dumfriesshire. He was a blacksmith who lived near Dalton from at least the 1790s onward, but it is not known if this is from where he originated (the lack of records might imply that he did not).

At the time there were Halliday families recorded to the north in Moffat parish, and to the south in Annan who could be related (including an elder George Halliday in Moffat), but we will have to find more solid documentation to pursue a connection.

The broader region was seat to many Halliday families. Two miles west of Dalton village is Halladay Hill (or as now spelt, Hallidayhill), thought to be so named after the long established Halliday family of nearby Hoddom of the 15th century. Perhaps George was descended from them.

Whatever his lineage, George Halliday first is recorded through the parish baptismal records of his children. He married Mary Brown around 1790, and proceeded to have at least four children with her. The first child was born near Edge in 1792, but by 1802 the family lived at Whitecroft, a large farm south of Dalton, where two daughters were born. George did not own this property, but perhaps worked there as the farm's blacksmith (many local people where employed at Whitecroft over the years). The couple's son Robert was born between these dates and so it is not known when they moved, or which at location he was born.

The photo to the right is the mansion at Whitecroft, a Georgian era home built around the time of George Halliday. Today it is a used as a hotel.

Also around at this time was the great poet and lyricist Robert Burns, who went to live in nearby Dumfries in 1791 and died there in 1796.

Mary appears to have died in 1813 at age 51 at Holmains, still in the Dalton area. Her son Robert would have been just setting out on his own, but her two youngest daughters were still but children.

It is unknown what became of George and no record of his death has been found.


Move to Kirkcudbrightshire

Robert Halliday (~1798-1873) was born to George and Mary Halliday about 1798 near Dalton, Dumfriesshire (there are several years associated with his birth, 1798 is taken from his age on his death certificate). While it is not known exactly where he was born, he very likely spent his boyhood at Whitecroft.

Robert appears to have gone out on his own as a young man, moving west to Kirkcudbrightshire between 1815-1820 where he worked as a farm labourer. He looks to have first lived at the Haugh of Urr, a small hamlet south of Kirkpatrick-Durham. Really no more than a collection of dwellings near the bridge of the River Urr.

The village of Kirkpatrick-Durham stands near the centre of Kirkcudbrightshire. It was founded around 1783 by the Reverend David Lamont, minister of the parish of Kirkpatrick Durham, and was for some time the scene of a vigorous but ultimately vain attempt to establish a new cotton and woolen industry for the area. Under these efforts the population of the parish increased from around 1,000 people in 1801, to nearly 1,500 by 1821. It seems that Robert Halliday was part of this influx. The population remained stable for 30 years before gradually falling back to its previous levels after the new industry failed to blossom. For a time however it must have been billed as an exciting boom town.

Over his life, Robert worked as a farm labourer and a carter - basically a delivery man for transporting goods around and between farms and villages. A carter typically drove a light, two wheeled, horse drawn cart. Later, carmen were often employed by railway companies for local deliveries and collections of goods and parcels.

Robert married Mary Caven about 1820 in Kirkpatrick-Durham, but the actual record has not been found yet. It seems common in Kirkcudbright that marriage Banns were practiced. Banns were a method of certifying a marriage used until the 19th century. They were declarations read on three consecutive Sundays or Holy Days during Divine Service, immediately before the Offertory. Any minor needed to provide proof of parent's or guardian's consent. At least one of the marrying couple had to be resident in the parish which they wished to be married in; the banns of the other party were read in his/her parish of residence, and a certificate provided from the clergyman stating it was properly done. Banns were good for 3 months. The wedding had to take place in the church between 8 am and noon.

They would go on to have six children, 1 boy and 5 girls. Their son, John was born in Kirkpatrick-Durham in December 1820 and seems to have been their first born. He also appears to have been born to a very young mother. From the information we have, it appears that Mary was just a teenager when John was born. There is also a large gap of 8 years between John and his next known sibling, Janet. Of course census reporting can be in error, but it is concievable that John was an unexpected birth, and his parents waited before growing their family.

Robert and Mary seem to have moved to Robert's home at the Haugh of Urr in 1821 (only a mile south). However, it appears from the marriage records in Urr that because they married first in Kirkpatrick Durham, they had to be re-registered in Urr as well as pay the local parish dues. One of the first acts of a Scot when he moved from one parish to another was to transfer his certificate of church membership, his 'testimonial'. The parish record of Urr states:

12 June. Robert Halliday residing in Haugh of Urr stated that he had been regularly Proclaimed for marriage in the Parish of Kirkpatrick Durham where Mary Cavan his ? and intended wife resides but avows that he did not know Proclamation in this parish was ? He has of this date paid the accustomed dues, 10 ?, to submit to ? ? and requests the marriage to Proceed. Married.

The nearby Motte of Urr is a large castle ruin which dates from the 12th century and is said to be the most extensive bailey earthwork in Scotland.

Dumfries suffered a pretty severe outbreak of cholera in 1832.

Robert and Mary would have most of their children starting in 1828 into the 1830s.

By the census of 1841 Robert and Mary were living back in Kirkpatrick-Durham. Their children are also reported having been born there, so we can conclude that they moved before 1830. They would continue to be found there for the rest of their lives.

1841 Census, Village of Kirkpatrick-Durham
           Robert Halliday 40 - ag lab & carter
           Mary Halliday 35
           Janet Halliday 13
           Margaret Halliday 8
           Mary Halliday 5
           Jean Halliday 3
           Elizabeth Halliday 10mo


Many of Robert and Mary's children started to marry and move off to their own lives in the 1850s. Daughter Janet married a master joiner named William Riddick in 1849.

For the 1851 census the family is listed as living on the Main street of Kirkpatrick-Durham. Many of the ages listed on this record are off.

1851 Census, Village of Kirkpatrick-Durham
           Robert Halliday 58 - carter and farm lab
           Mary Halliday 48
           Jane Halliday 13
           Mary Halliday 16
           Robert Halliday 8
           Elizabeth Halliday 6


From the 1861 census. Although he tended to move alot, Robert and Mary's son John was also living here with his growing family at this time.

1861 Census, Village of Kirkpatrick-Durham
           Robert Halliday 58 - carter
           Mary Halliday 48
           Alexander Edgar 5 (grandson)
           Elizabeth Halliday 16


From the 1871 census

1871 Census, Village of Kirkpatrick-Durham
           Robert Halliday 68 - carter
           Mary Halliday 65
           Elizabeth Halliday 25 - lab


Robert died March 14th, 1873 in Kirkpatrick-Durham village. Mary's death record has yet to be found, but she likely died between 1873-1881.


John Halliday and Helen Muir

John Halliday (1820-1898) was born in December, 1820 in the village of Kirkpatrick-Durham, the oldest child of Robert and Mary Halliday. His baptism was recorded in the Kirkcudbright church register on December 24th, 1820.

John had five sisters, most of whom were much younger than him. Judging by the timing of his birth and his parents marriage, John's arrival might have been a surprise.

As a young man he worked as a agricultural labourer, and a farm servant on the farms around Kirkpatrick-Durham and Castle Douglas. During the 1841 Scottish census John was possibly working as a farm servant for John Patton at Minny Dow, Kirkcudbright.

John married Helen Muir in June 1851 at Crossmichael, Kirkcudbrightshire, which was the home of Helen's family. Her father William Muir was a church officer there. Together they had ten children, 7 boys and 3 girls.

The census of 1851 recorded the newlyweds lived at Rhonehouse, near Castle Douglas. This was not far from Helen's family in Crossmichael.

1851 Census
           John Halliday 28
           Helen Halliday 22


Sometime in the mid 1850s the couple moved back to the town of Kirkpatrick-Durham. What drove the move is unknown, but as a farm labourer John would have gone to where work was available. From the 1861 census it appears that the family was living within the villiage proper at this time.

For the 1861 Scottish Census the Hallidays lived at Kirkpatrick-Durham, in a private house.

1861 Census, Kirkpatrick-Durham
           John Halliday 38
           Helen Halliday 32
           Jane Halliday 8
           Robert Halliday 6
           William Halliday 4
           Mary Halliday 2
           John Halliday 3mo


Sometime during the 1860s the Halliday family moved to the hamlet Bridge Of Urr, a more rural area not far from Kirkpatrick-Durham.

1871 Census, Bridge of Urr
           John Halliday 47
           Helen Halliday 42
           William Halliday 13
           John Halliday 11
           Andrew Halliday 7
           Samuel Halliday 5
           Eliza Halliday 3
           James Halliday 1.5
           Cath Halliday 2wks


Ten years later, the family lived at Nethertown Cottage, very close to Bridge of Urr.  It appears that towards his elder years, John worked as a colman (deliverer of coal) for the local farms.

1881 Census, Nethertown Cottage
           John Halliday 58 - colman
           Helen Halliday 52
           Elizabeth Halliday 13
           James Halliday 11
           Catherine Halliday 9
           Helen Scott (granddaur) 4


John and Helen's eldest daughter Jane married an unknown man of the surname Scott during the 1870s. In 1877 they also had a daughter, Helen, together. For unknown reasons it appears that this little girl was raised afterwards by her grandparents. Perhaps they died.

Lived at Kirkpatrick-Durham in 1891, Crossmichael  

1891 Census, Crossmichael
           John Halliday 69
           Helen Halliday 61
           Helen S Halliday 14 (granddaughter)
           Ethel Emma Wyler 2 (granddaughter)


John Halliday died around 1898.
After her husband's death, Helen moved to Wigtownshire where she lived with her daughter and granddaughter.

1901 Census, Wigtownshire
           Helen Halliday 71
           Elizabeth Halliday 33 (daughter - dressmaker)
           Helen S Halliday 24 (granddaughter - shop assistant)
           Margaret Burnie


Helen died 1906 in Penningham, Wigtownshire.


Hallidays Come to Dumfries

John Halliday (1861-1926) was born January 17th, 1861 in Kirkpatrick-Durham of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. He was the fifth of ten children, 6 boys and 4 girls.

When John was a child in the 1860s, his large and growing family moved to Bridge of Urr, a hamlet to the southwest of Kirkpatrick-Durham. Their father worked as an agricultural labourer and would have been active on many of the local farms.

Sometime in the 1870s the family moved to Nethertown Cottage, a residence nearby to Bridge of Urr. The 1881 Scottish Census showed John, now age twenty, living with his parents at the Cottage. John was also listed as a Journeyman Mason (stone cutter) on the census, indicating that he apprenticed for at least two years prior to 1881. If he was taken on at age 16 and held an apprenticeship for the typical two to four years, this would have been the years 1877 through 1881.

The granite quarries were the main industry in nearby Dalbeattie, and enjoyed something of a boom during the 1880s, so young John would have had ample access to pursue this profession. Hiring fairs were held on the second Tuesday of April and October, and the business was dominated by only two local companies employing several hundred men. Granite exported from the Dalbeattie area was shipped far and wide into the Mersey Docks in Liverpool, the Thames Embankment in London, various British lighthouses, even as far as the lighthouse at the southern tip of Sri Lanka.

John married his first wife, Mary Beck Jardine, in Dalswinton on July 25th, 1884 (age 23). How he met Mary or arrived in Dalswinton is unknown, as it is quite far (20+km) from his family home in Kircudbrightshire. There were local Dalswinton quarries and perhaps he was employed by them. He would go on to have two children with Mary - Robert and Henrietta. Tragically Mary died shortly after in 1886 (just age 28) from septicemia.

It must have been very difficult for John as a widower with two small babies. With his own family quite distant it is unclear whom John relied upon for support with the children. However he appears to have stayed in Dalswinton.

Two years later, on September 21, 1888, John remarried to Isabella Henderson at Dalswinton. Isabella was Mary Beck Jardine's cousin and so the families must have remained close. They would go on to have ten children together, eight boys and two girls. His two children from his first marriage would also join the new family, making a total of twelve children in the household.

Interestingly, Isabella's father had been killed quite young in 1876, at just 33 years of age. He was a locomotive engineer and was accidentally run over by a train, although the circumstances are unknown to us. The death notice does remark that it passed over his body, so must have been quite gruesome.

In 1889 John's profession is recorded on his son James' birth record as a Journeyman Mason, but sometime in 1890 (and ever after) he is listed as just Mason. Possibly had earned the seniority of his profession to become a member of the Stonemason's Guild.

Pictured to the right is John and his wife Isabella sometime during the 1890s.

By 1890 John had made the decision to move his family closer to Dumfries, the main market town of the area. They settled in Greenbrae, a small, relatively new hamlet on the east side of town where the family lived at 7 Briar Bank, on Bane Loaning. They would stay here during at least the years 1890-1901, and likely longer. While John would move homes move several more times in the future, he would always remain in the Greenbrae area.

Greenbrae would seem to have been built out and settled between 1856 and 1890. While it is labeled on the 1856 ordinance map, there are only a few homes along Lockerbie Road (then Lochmaben Road) and is otherwise mostly farmland. The prominant building was the Greenbrae lodge. By 1890 there are numerous stone houses and some businesses in place. Several new roads had been cut across the fields.

The address of Briar Bank refers to the series of 10 row houses on Bane Loaning and are visible on the 1893 ordinance map. Each door opened to two homes. In the photo here number 7 would have been the right side of the blue door.

John and Isabella's third son Andrew Halliday was born soon after the family arrived at their new home, bringing the household to five members. Andrew was possibly named for John's younger brother. Over the next decade in Greenbrae John and Isabella would have four more children in the home.

The Scottish Census of 1891 recorded the Halliday family as:

1891 Census, 7 Briar Bank, Greeenbrae, Dumfries
           John Halliday 30
           Isabella H 24
           Henrietta D 6
           John R J Halliday 4
           James Halliday 2
           Andrew Halliday 5 mo


These photos show the intersection of Lockerbie Road and Bane Loaning, looking east. The postcard of Greenbrae to the left shows what it looked like in 1900, and the right side is what it looks like today. Briar Bank is just down the road to the left. The card was kept by Andrew Halliday.

John's father died around 1898 at approximately age 78, possibly in Crossmichael.

The Scottish Census of 1901 recorded the Halliday family as:

1901 Census, 7 Briar Bank, Greeenbrae, Dumfries
           John Halliday 40 - Freestone Builder
           Isabella H 34
           John Halliday 14
           James Halliday 12
           Andrew Halliday 10
           Mary A Halliday 8
           Robert Halliday 6
           Archibald Halliday 4
           William Halliday 1

Interestingly, young daughter Henrietta is not recorded by this census. She would have been only 16 at the time.

This photo shows a relaxed John Halliday (bottom left) and a group of men and boys from around 1905. It is not known if some of them are John's older children, other relatives, or perhaps just workers. However there is a certain family resemblance among some of them.

John's mother died 1906 in Wigtownshire of a cerebral hemorrhage at age 65.


For the 1911 census the Halliday family was living at 161 Tannock Place, Dumfries.

1911 Census, Dumfries
           John Halliday 48
           Isabella H 47
           Mary A Halliday 18
           Robert Halliday 16
           Archibald Halliday 14
           William Halliday 11
           Nellie Halliday 9
           Charles Halliday 7
           Douglas Halliday 5
           Samuel Halliday 2

John's son Andrew left for Canada with the Farish family in 1911 and is not seen on this census. Two of his other children, Mary and William also left for North America in years to come. John himself would never travel overseas that we know of.

Four of John's sons would go on to fight in World War I. John was a member of the Royal Scots Greys. William was a member of the RAF. Robert was with the Lanarkshire Yeomanry. And Archie was with the Scottish Horse, Black Watch. All of them survived the conflict and many achieved honours. Robert lost an arm in the war and later became the one-armed golf champion of Scotland.

John and Isabella lived in a building called Tannock Place at 51 Lockerbie Road, Dumfries between at least 1915 and 1920. This was possibly the same Tannock Place as shown on the 1911 census, but we have not been able to find a unit number. The Valuation Roll of 1915 shows that the Hallidays rented it for £10 per year (less than $4,000 per year today). Interestingly the local neighborhood was filled with family members and relations, including; William Halliday (coal agent), Thomas Farish (railway man), Samuel Walker (blacksmith), and James Halliday (carter). John and Isabella's immediate neighbor was Donald Urquhart, a sculptor.

John lived at 21 Balmoral Road, Dumfries in 1923, pictured to the right. The names of the women visible in the picture are unknown, but the older one could possibly be Isabella, John's wife. The exact house no longer exists on Balmoral Road, but there are several nearby homes which haven't change at all from this style.

This photograph to the left shows John Halliday around the early 1920s. A pocket watch on a chain is visible on John here, and if you look carefully, it is also seen in the earlier images of him as well. He is listed as a Master Builder by this time.

John died soon after these pictures were taken, March 29th, 1926 at age 65 while still living on Balmoral Road. The cause of death was a cerebral hemorrhage. His wife Isabella, who was quite a few years younger than him, died on March 17th, 1936.

This photo of John and Isabella's gravestone comes to us by way of their descendant Ken Beck.



The Halliday and Farish Immigrants

Andrew Halliday (1890-1953), or Andy as he was more often known, was born at Greenbrae, Dumfries, Scotland on October 18th, 1890. He was the second of what would eventually be ten children (eight brothers and two sisters) born by John Halliday and his second wife Isabella Henderson. Andrew also had a half-brother and half-sister from his father's first marriage who lived with them as well, so in all, there would have been twelve children under one roof.

Currently our research does not include much information on what happend to most of Andrew's siblings in the coming years. Two of them are known to have died quite young (in their forties) from illness. Much later, Andrew's daughter Jean Halliday did journey to Scotland and met and visited with some of their descendants, but unfortunately the connection was lost.

By the 1901 Scottish census the large family was living at 7 Briar Bank, a small hamlet near Dumfries. It is thought that they moved to Dumfries proper soon after, in the early 1900s.

Andrew met Elizabeth Farish sometime between 1908-1911 at the White Sands cattle market in Dumfries. They both would have been around 20 years old at the time. Their daughter Jean would later say it was love at first sight. Elizabeth was sliding down a railing, and Andrew was waiting at the bottom when they first saw each other. Elizabeth was fond of a saying from Scotland; "Who's for ye, nay go by ye", which roughly means 'true loves will always meet'. Perhaps it was from this encounter with her husband her belief stems. This photograph is from a tinted postcard of the market produced between 1890-1900.

Elizabeth's family, the Farishes (and her mother's family the Jollys) lived nearby in Maxwelltown across the river from the White Sands market. They had been long time residents of the town since at least the 1860s. Her father, Frank Farish (1859-1934), was from a line of joiners (carpenters), while her mother Mary's family were cattle dealers, who knew the market well. Elizabeth's grandfather on that side had been a cattle topsman (head cowboy) in his youth, and her uncle John Jolly also continued that tradition.

Maxwelltown did not merge with Dumfries until 1928, before which it was a seperate burgh in the parish of Troqueer. The town originally bore the name of Bridgend, and had such a reputation as an outlaw village, that it was said, `You might trace a rogue all over the kingdom, but were sure to lose him at the Bridgend of Dumfries.' However, in 1810 Brigend was erected into a free burgh of barony, under the name of Maxwelltown and the area improved quickly. It gained a station on the line to Castle-Douglas, the large Troqueer tweed mills (1866-70), a dye work, 2 saw-mills, nurserygrounds, and it shared considerably in the trade and commerce of nearby Dumfries. A public school was opened in 1876, accommodating 359 children where the Farish children very likely attended. By 1887 the town had a population of 4,455.

Modern conveniences first came to Dumfries in the 1890s. The Station Hotel, built in Dumfries in 1897, was one of the earliest buildings to have electric lighting and central heating in the region. It would be years before such things were commonplace in the average home.

It is not yet known how Andrew was employed during his youth in Dumfries. His father was a stone mason and might have had use of him in that business.

These pictures were taken in 1910, probably soon after Andrew and Elizabeth first met.

Elizabeth's sister Jane Farish died at age 22 on August 21st, 1910, although the cause is unknown.

Although it is not precisely known why, the Farishes had decided to emigrate to Canada by early 1911. Perhaps it had something to do with Jane's death, but employment was likely a large factor, as well as knowing that Canada had a large welcoming Scot population, but it was certainly a big decision to leave the family's roots. The Farishs had lived in Maxwelltown for decades and had many family ties to the Jollys and Dinwoodies there. As well, they were not a young family anymore. Frank and his wife were already in their fifties, while the children were all in their early twenties and starting out on their own lives. Perhaps more surprising is that Andrew Halliday, who was not yet married to Elizabeth, also decided to emigrate with them. He left behind his many siblings and went alone to Canada with his young girlfriend's family.

Frank Farish and his eldest son James arrived in Halifax on March 24, 1911 aboard the SS Victorian from Liverpool. They brought about $75.00 between them (about $6,000 today), and made their way to the boom town of Winnipeg where presumably they would prepare to bring over the rest of the family when they could. Andrew Halliday also came over at this time, although his record has not been found. The three of them would be on their own in Winnipeg for over a year. It is possible that the Farish house at 493 Walker Avenue was obtained around this time and likely that the three of them all lived there together.

Frank belonged to the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners, and likely got carpentry work after he arrived in town by way of the local chapter. Frank probably learned his trade from his own father, Thomas, who was also a joiner. Frank joined the trade union June 23rd, 1883 at age 24. He had a large handmade wooden tool chest which would be eventually passed on to his grandson Frank, who also went into the trade. In later years Frank helped build and expand the Selkirk Mental Asylum and did work for the Manitoba government.

Frank's wife, Mary, left Scotland for Canada in late May, 1912 with two of her children, Samuel and Elizabeth, aboard the SS Pretorian. She made the journey only a month after the horrific SS Titanic disaster, and she later told of still seeing bodies in the water as they passed the area in which it sank. Whether she saw bodies or just debris might be a matter of debate, but certainly everyone of the day was deeply affected by the event. (The last recorded body recovered from the water was around May 10th.) It would have been a very eerie crossing nonetheless. They arrived in Montreal on June 1st, destined for Winnipeg. Interestingly the records list, daughter Elizabeth is listed as a factory worker, and her younger brother Samuel as a clerk.

Winnipeg is a city shaped heavily by immigration. Both to itself directly and also because it serves as a gateway to the prairie region as a whole. It underwent several periods of extremely rapid growth due to the Canadian government's desire to tame the prairies into a productive breadbasket. Many immigrants from Quebec, Eastern Canada, New England and the United Kingdom were encouraged to resettle there in the late 19th century. Later came Eastern Europeans and Mennonites. By the time Andrew Halliday and the Farishes arrived in 1911-12, the population of Winnipeg was 136,035. This had increased from just 42,340 ten years earlier - a veritable boom town. It would take many years for the social impact of this huge influx of people to be fully settled. It was a time disrupted by conflicts over language, women's rights, the place of immigrants, and the relation between workers and employers. Unfortunately, Winnipeg began to face financial difficulty after the Panama Canal opened in 1914. The canal reduced reliance on Canada's rail system for international trade and the dream of the city becoming a 'Chicago of the north' would never be realized.

Many wonderful historical photographs and stories can be found at the Winnipeg Time Machine.

Andrew and Elizabeth finally married on October 30th, 1913. They were 22 and 21 years old. Why they waited so long before being wed is unknown, as clearly Andrew was willing to leave Scotland to be with her. Perhaps her parents would not permit her to marry before she turned 21. Or perhaps Andrew needed to establish himself as a good provider first.

In any case, soon after they were married, Andrew and Elizabeth lived in a home on Rosedale Aveneue for a short while. They then moved to 514 Walker Avenue where they would live from approximately ~1914 to 1929. Walker Avenue was then known as Marion Avenue and this is recorded on the birth certificates of their first two children, Jane and Isabel. Its name was changed to Walker sometime between 1915-1920. Although the Hallidays lived seperately from the Farishes during most of these years, Elizabeth's parents would live with the Hallidays in (as seen in the census) 1916 , and again in 1919. After 1919 through at least 1922 the Farishes appear to have lived near the Hallidays at 493 Walker before moving in with them.

The couple's first child, Jane Ellen was born August 8th, 1914, four days after the start of WWI. Although christened Jane, she would always be known as Jean. She was named after her aunt who died quite young, Jane Jolly Farish.

Andrew and Elizabeth's second daughter Isabel Mary was born November 1st, 1915. She was named after her two grandmothers, Mary Jolly Farish and Isabella Henderson Halliday.

The 1916 Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta recorded the Halliday and Farish families as follows at 514 Walker:

1916 Census, Winnipeg, 514 Walker
           Andrew Halliday 25 - Conductor
           Elizabeth Halliday 24
           Jean E Halliday 1
           Isabell N Halliday 0
           Francis Farish 57 - Carpenter
           Mary Farish 58

The family of James Alexander Farish, Elizabeth's brother, was nearby at 586 Rathgar in 1916, with young sons James and Frank.

Andrew always maintained a garden at home where the family grew corn and other vegetables. Jean always remembered her father as a firm but kind man. There were many rules he had set for his children which they dare not tempt. They were a very close family.

According to the census, Andrew was working for the Winnipeg Electric Railway Company as a conductor. It is not known when exactly he started with them, but he would work there the rest of his career. During his time there Andrew would have seen many changes to how the company was run, and the vehicles which it operated. It had done well during the economic boom of the early 1900s, but from 1914–15 on the Winnipeg Electric Railway would start to experience competition from jitneys, privately-owned taxi cabs. The financial pressures of this competition, tensions with the Public Utilities Commission about route planning, complaints regarding the poor state of rolling stock all led to a crisis in 1918. Negotiations with the city led to a repealing of the jitney bylaw, some route changes, a program of rebuilding old trolley cars, and the first appearance of motor buses in Winnipeg. The company was also affected by the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919, with a terrible explosion and fire at the Main Street car barn.

In November, 1917, Elizabeth's brother Samuel was conscripted into the Canadian army to fight during World War I. He had actually volunteered for service a year prior but was turned away for having flat feet. As the war ground on, however, many more troops were needed and conscription was begun. Samuel was assigned to the 52nd Battalion (Manitoba Regiment), #2378745, as transfer from 96th Regimental Draft. He was killed during his first battle in France only 8 months later in August, 1918. He is buried at the Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery in Haucourt, France. A memorial page can be found on the Canadian Veterans Affairs site. He is also recorded on the Jolly family gravestone in Dumfries.

Samuel was posthumously awarded two medals for his service; the British War Medal, and the Victory Medal. His mother, Mary, also received the Memorial Cross in memory of Samuel from the government of Canada. Unfortunately we are not aware of who currently possesses Samuel's medals.

Samuel's death devastated his mother Mary. This was her third child she had lost. Tragically, she had a stroke the day she heard the news and was never quite the same afterward, requiring assistance to move about. She used to sit by the parlor window at their home on Walker Avenue in Winnipeg and watch for her son to come home.

Four of Andrew Halliday's brothers also served in the great war, though fortunately none of them were killed. John, William, Robert, and Archie all served in various front of the war. The following clipping appeared in a Dumfries newspaper in 1918 and mentions them and their bravery.

Private Archie Halliday, Scottish Horse, attached Black Watch, son of Mr. John Halliday, builder, 51 Lockerbie Road, Dumfries, has been awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field in France. Private Halliday enlisted shortly after the outbreak of war, and after serving in this country for about twelve months proceeded to Gallipoli. After serving in that campaign he took part in the fighting in Egypt and Salonika, and was ultimately transfened to France in July of this year. Private Halliday is 22 yearc of age, and prior to enlisting was employed as a fireman with the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Company. He is one of four soldier brothers. John, of the Scots Greys, was wounded at Mons in 1914, and is now discharged; Robert, of the Lanarkshire Yeomanry, has served in Gallipoli, Egypt, and France, and is now at Gailes officers' training camp; and William is in the R.A.F.

Through 1917-18 tensions in Winnipeg became heightened in working class areas due to low pay, poor living conditions and dangerous work environments. As well, newly returned soldiers had difficulty finding decent employment.  A dangerous atmosphere was growing and this labour and class unrest led to the May 1918 building trades strike, in what would be a precursor to the Winnipeg General Strike in May 1919. Andrew and Frank both would have been active in these events.

On June 22nd, 1918 all Canadian citizens over 16 years of age were required to register and obtain a card which they then had to carry on their person at all times. Questions asked included name, address, age, date and country of birth, citizenship, year of immigration, marital status, state of health and occupation. Halliday descendant Gerald Halliday still has the cards Mary Farish and Elizabeth Halliday recieved on that day, seen to the right. At the time both families lived at 514 Walker Avenue.

The elder Farishes seem to have lived on their own sometime after 1918. The Hallidays were living on Walker street in 1919 and the Farishes appear to have been just down at 493 on the same street, according to city directories. After the death of Samuel, everyone seems to have moved in together for a while (perhaps during 1919-20). This was partly so that Elizabeth's parents could be better cared for after her mother's stroke.

In the fall and winter of 1918 the Spanish Flu pandemic spread across the world. Globally it killed more than 22 million - more than died in WWI - and perhaps as many as 100 million. People took to wearing masks and staying indoors. Even the harsh winter temperatures could not stop the spread of the Flu. The virus was different in that it affected young adults in their 20s and 30s, who are generally hardy enough to fight off such infections. It is estimated 30,000-50,000 died in Canada (the equivalent of 1 in every 180 people).

The Winnipeg Tribune edition of Tuesday, October 1, 1918 brought the first news of the influenza to Winnipeg. It had been raging out of control in Eastern Canada and it traveled west along the rail lines. On September 30, twenty-three westbound soldiers traveling home from the War were taken off the train in Winnipeg suffering from the influenza and immediately placed in isolation. However it quickly spread over the next few weeks and soon several thousand became infected. Many emergency measures were taken over the coming weeks, starting on October 12 with a proclamation closing all theatres, schools, churches, libraries, dance halls, city public baths and all public meeting places indefinitely. Department stores and other stores, streetcars, dining rooms and cafes remained open but were subject to emergency regulations. Other measures included; appeals to any women with nurse training to come forward to help care for the ill, searching of trains for ill passengers, banning of visitors from hospitals, and the setting up of emergency food kitchens for the ill. By the end of January 1919 there had been 12,863 cases, and 824 deaths in the City of Winnipeg. Most experts feel that the true numbers were probably under reported. These number still imply that 1 in 15 people in the city were infected and that 1 in 200 died.

Andrew Halliday would have been affected by some new measures to stop the spread of the flu such as having all streetcars disinfected every 24 hours, and having all the windows on the streetcars left open at all times regardless of the weather. In fact, as the flu wore on into November 1918, overcrowded streetcars were still blamed for spreading new cases.

It would have been an anxious time for the Halliday and Farish families. Many people who lived through it got the habit of boiling and sterilizing everything in their homes for years to come. Fortunately the children were young enough not to be in the highest risk group.

In May-June 1919, the Winnipeg General Strike shut down the city. It was one of the most influential strikes in Canadian history as it was the first organized large scale strike and because it became the platform for future labour reforms. The Halliday and Farish families would have been affected by this event in several ways. As a union trademan, Frank Farish was very likely a participant in the strike. But during the strike there was a a terrible explosion and fire at the Main Street car barn, destroying some trolley cars and this certainly would have affected Andrew's work. More on the strike can be found at the Winnipeg Time Machine.

Tensions between the public and Andrew's employer, the Winnipeg Electic Railroad had been growing for years and the strike served as a cataylst. The railroad had begun experience competition from jitneys (privately-owned taxi cabs) , and the financial pressures of this competition, tensions with the Public Utilities Commission about route planning, complaints regarding the poor general state of rolling stock, and the concerns about disease during the recent influenza outbreak all led to a crisis in 1918. Negotiations with the city led to a repealing of the jitney bylaw, some route changes, a program of rebuilding old trolley cars, and the first appearance of motor buses in Winnipeg. 

Andrew and Elizabeth's only son, Douglas Samuel Farish, was born on October 13th, 1920. When they brought the new baby home they told young Jean and Isabel they found Douglas in the cabbage patch out back. He was named after Andy's brother Douglas, and Elizabeth's late brother Samuel.

Jean would have first started attending school around 1919-20. When Jean was little, her parents bought her a beautiful china doll one Christmas. A very precious toy. Unfortunately in her excitement she accidentally broke its porcelain face and was very upset. Her father promised to buy her a new one, but the family did not have very much money. Her father instead found a local business called the 'Doll Hospital' which was able to repair it.

The Manitoba Legislative Building was opened in 1920 and reflected an optimism of the boom years. Its dome supported a bronze statue finished in gold leaf titled, "Eternal Youth and the Spirit of Enterprise" (commonly known as the "Golden Boy"). The Manitoba Legislature was built in the neoclassical style that is common to many other North American state and provincial legislative buildings of the 19th century and early 20th century. The Legislature was built to accommodate representatives for three million people, which was the expected population of Manitoba at the time.

The 1921 Census of Canada recorded the Halliday family as follows at 514 Walker:

1921 Census, Winnipeg, 514 Walker
           Andrew Halliday 30 - Conductor
           Elizabeth Halliday 29
           Jean Ellen Halliday 6
           Isabell N Halliday 5
           Douglas Halliday 8/12

One of the things recorded on this census for the first time was the yearly earnings of the family. Andrew Halliday earned $1500 in 1921 (about $69,000 today). His father-in-law Frank Farish earned $1400 that year (about $64,000 today).

During the early 1920s at least three of Andrew's siblings also left Scotland for Canada and the USA. His sister Mary Halliday came over in September, 1920 and lived in Windsor, Ontario for a few years. She soon met and married John Higgins and together they moved to Michigan sometime before 1927. Brother James Halliday came over in 1920 as well with his own wife and children. They too would also move to Detroit area where James later worked as an auto manufacturer. Their brother William Halliday arrived in Canada in 1923 with his wife Elizabeth McLeod. They went to Detroit, Michigan, where perhaps they coordinated with his siblings, although the timing is unclear. For unknown reasons however, William and his family returned to Scotland sometime around 1930 where they had two more children. They wouldn't return to North America again until 1946 after the war. William and his family briefly stayed with the Halliday family in Winnipeg before moving to Detroit. Andrew Halliday's name can be found as a reference on both his siblings immigration documents. There would be correspondence and occasional visits between the families over the years.

Andrew's father passed away back in Scotland in 1926.

The 1920s saw the explosive growth of the new medium of radio, and Andrew and his family was the among the first generations to experience the first form of broadcast entertainment. Canada began issuing broadcasting licenses in the spring of 1922. In March 1923 the Manitoba Telephone System opened CKY as the province’s only broadcasting station, and the only provincially owned station in Canada (making it a government monopoly). Like all Canadian radio stations at the time, the Winnipeg station broadcast for only limited hours, gradually increasing its schedule as the decade progressed. Most of the on-air hours consisted of the staple concerts typical of the radio of the era, featuring a variety of local artists, and many hours of music brought in from the Roseland Dance Gardens on Portage Avenue. The station instituted the first series of lectures broadcast straight from university classrooms directed towards farmers, as well as Sunday religious services. By the fall of 1927 CKY was broadcasting about forty hours a week, three and a half hours in the daytime and from two to four hours at night, with two silent nights. For further information please see the wonderful write ups at the Manitoba Historical Society.

This photo shows the Halliday children from before 1925 in front of 514 Walker street. The family had a lot of contact with the four Farish cousins as they were growing up. Their grandfather Frank was always laughing, dancing and joking with his seven grandchildren. They all had many fond memories of him.

Many elements of what is familiar to modern eyes got their start in the roaring twenties. Time Magazine launched in 1922. The three coloured traffic signal began to be used in 1923. 'Talkie' movies with full sound and voice were introduced in 1926 (they first screened in Winnipeg’s Metropolitan Theatre on October 26th, 1928). Mickey Mouse's first film by Disney was in 1928. And the commercialization of plastics revolutionized many aspects of modern life, from nylon, to scotch tape and linoleum.

One of the things we notice as time passes is that the price of goods change, but it was the early 20th century which started to value things more closely to what we value them today. The cost of living during the 1920s and 1930s was similar to today, but money was worth more so the prices were scaled quite a bit lower. There are some items which were comparatively expensive because they had only recently been introduced, as well as a few that were cheaper relative to today. For comparison a 1921 Canadian Eaton's catalog is viewable here.

Some other prices from the time include (from various US and Canadian sources from the early 1920s);

Item Cost then Price today
Gallon of gasoline $0.20 $2.50 (0.60/litre)
Newspaper $0.02 $0.25
Oranges $0.23/dozen $2.80
12 eggs $0.18 $2.20
Steak $0.22/lb $2.70/lb
Shoes $2.00-3.00 $25-40
Men's suit $35.00-50.00 $430-620
Women's silk dress $30.00-40.00 $370-500
Bottle of soda $0.05 $0.60
Alarm clock $1.00 $12
Large cabinet radio with speaker $100 $1,200
Tabletop radio $50 $620
Victrola type record player $75+ $925
Piano $120+ $1500
Restaurant dinner $1.00 ea. $12
Living room furniture set (3 pc) $160 $1900
Furnished apartment $4.25/week $50/week
5 bedroom house $7,000 $200,000
Average white collar wage $3,300/year $45,000/year

As we can see, food and housing were somewhat cheaper then, but electronics were much more expensive. There were only 60,000 radios in the US in 1922, but by the end of the decade there were over 10 million, and the prices of them accordingly came down. Andrew might have made as much as $2,500+/year as a transit driver.

The families were proud of their Scotch heritage and belonged to the Dumfries and Galloway Association of Winnipeg. They spoke with thick Scottish accents and kept many of their euphemisms and sayings. Their granddaughter Jean would also always remember the Scotch dumplings her grandmother Mary would make.

Elizabeth was a very happy person who would sing old Scottish songs to herself. Even her neighbors would remark that when they were feeling low, all they had to do was open the windows and listen to Mrs. Halliday next door to brighten their spirits. Even her father Frank was known for his singing. He would lovingly tease and sing to his wife Mary all the time.

In 1924 Andrew's employer reorganized under a new name, the Winnipeg Electric Company. By now Andrew had been a driver for some time. Interestingly, his children were not allowed to ride in a streetcar alone until they were 12. This video shows trolley cars and scenes around Winnipeg from the 1920s-50s, when the Halliday family were growing up and Andrew was working for Winnipeg Electric.

In 1928 the city's first airport was opened, called the Stevenson Aerodrome.

Also in 1928, Andrew Halliday won the Manitoba Dominion Championship in lawn bowling. He received a pin marking the event.

Andrew Halliday moved his family to 495 Beresford around 1929. Doug remembered the move occured when he was about 10 years old.

Grandmother Mary Farish, passed away in May 29th, 1929 at age 71. She had never been the same since her son's death ten years earlier. Grandpa Frank afterward sold his house and moved in with his daughter's family on Beresford, sharing a room with his grandson Doug.

The Great Depression had a deep impact on the city of Winnipeg during the thirties. Many Canadians felt that the depression wasn't brought about by the Wall Street stock market crash, but by the enormous 1928 wheat crop crash. Due to this, many people were out of work and money and food began to run low. The Halliday and Farish families, as with most people, never had much money during these years, but at least they had steady work. As the Depression carried on, 1 in 5 Canadians became dependent on government relief, and 30% of the working population was unemployed.

Jean Halliday graduated High School in 1931. Her sister Isabel would have followed in 1932, and brother Doug in June 1938.

On December 11, 1931 Canada made a step toward independence from Great Britain. The Statute of Westminster confirmed the right of dominions to independent conduct of their external relations. This made Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Newfoundland and Ireland 'fully independent dominions equal in status to but closely associated with the mother country' as part of the British Commonwealth of Nations.

The 1932 Winnipeg directory lists Elizabeth's brother James as a superintendant for Picardy's Candy Company, and her nephew Frank working as a carpenter for the Municipal Hospital.

In February 1932 Frank Farish was honoured by his union for 49 years of continuous membership. He and several others were each awarded an engraved bronze buffalo statuette.

Sadly Frank suffered from Alzhiemers in later life (back then they called it hardening of the arteries of the head). One Sunday night in the early 1930s he was to go over at his son's house for the weekly dinner. He was living with Andrew and Elizabeth at that time and had left their place as expected, but seemed rather late coming home later in the evening. When Elizabeth called her brother to find out if he had left yet, she found he hadn't arrived at all. The family became panicked and hit the streets to look for him, asking children and other neighbours to help. He was found shortly after downtown at the Hudson's Bay arcade, quietly standing while smoking his pipe, by a passing Winnipeg police inspector who knew him and though he was out of sorts. The inspector offered him a ride home much to the relief of his waiting family, but Frank had no idea what had really happened. After that the family was almost afraid to leave him alone.

Sometime later in 1933, Frank almost set fire to the house when he was lighting his pipe. After only leaving him alone for a few moments, his daughter Elizabeth saw the bay window curtains on fire when she returned home. She rushed in to find him standing in front of the flames quietly watching them. He was seemingly unaware of the danger, or that he had caused it. Frank's grandson Doug also remembers that Frank also once set his own mustache aflame.

Jean was engaged to Frank Stebin in 1933 for three months at just age 19. However they both quickly realized they had made a mistake rushing into marriage and called off the wedding.

Grandfather Frank passed away on March 17th, 1935 at age 76. He was buried with his wife Mary at Elmwood cemetery.

When Douglas Halliday was 15 years old he spent the summer at Old Wives, Saskatchewan. While there he rode horseback on a mare named Nellie, and enjoyed the company of his extended family, the Stevens, who were uncle Jim Farish's in-laws. There was a tiny white school house where Doug learned to dance.  His waltz was always three steps and turn, three steps and turn no matter how large the dance floor was because the school house was only large enough to take three waltz steps before you reached the next wall.

Andrew was also an avid lawn bowler in the 1930s and his many tournaments were recorded in the newspapers. He was the Dominion Lawn Bowling Champion in 1928 and later played in more advanced leagues. This photo shows Andrew (left) with the 1934 Provincial Championship Lawn Bowling Team. The caption reads: Riverview Law Bowling Club, Winners of Dingwall Challenge Trophy, M.L.B.A., Tournament 1934.  Dingwall was a local jewelry company. The members of the team were Andrew Halliday (Skip), W.H. Pink (Lead), A.R. Duff (2nd), James A. Farish (3rd), going clockwise from the 9 o'clock position.

Jean and her friends began to vacation up at Grand Beach and Victoria Beach quite a bit during the early 1930s. Jean also got a camera around that time and began taking photos.

Jean started working as a clerk for the British American Insurance company in 1935.

Jean met Howard Bretz in early 1935 when he saw her on a streetcar on her way to work, and was quite taken with her. She hadn't seen him, but he asked around and a friend helped arrange for a first meeting. Jean recalled that when she and Howard were courting she was always very intimidated by his mother. The Bretzes lived in a large house, had a house servant, and everything was always very proper.

Howard took Jean and some friends to Keewatin during the summer of 1935. It was where he had spent alot of time while growing up and presumably he wanted to share it with her.

In August 1936 Jean and Howard visited Minneapolis and Detroit Lakes on a road trip.

In 1937 Jean decided to take a trip with a friend to the west coast by bus. She saw Squamish and Victoria. She discovered it was not very much to take the bus further south, so ended up going down to Santa Monica as well, where she always remembered a day trip to Catalina Island.

She went back to Victoria the following year to see the visit of the Queen mother.

This image shows the Halliday family in the late 1937 in front of 495 Beresford.

In 1939 Jean and Howard were to be married, but the unexpected death of Howard's mother in Toronto in September 1938 forced him to use all of his savings to attend her funeral. It would be nearly two more years before they could save enough.

Back in Scotland two of Andrew's brothers died within a few years of each other due to illness. Archibald and Robert.

Douglas was Manitoba Juvenile Curling Champion in 1939. The trophy is still kept in the family. His team was as follows; Skip - Doug Halliday, 3rd - Lindsey Grieve, 2nd - Bob Gordon, Lead - Wallace Nixon.

World War II broke out in September, 1939, when Germany invaded Poland in a quest for the conquest of Europe.  It was the most widespread war in history, with more than 100 million military personnel mobilized. The major participants placed their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities at the service of the war effort, erasing the distinction between civilian and military resources. Marked by significant events involving the mass death of civilians, including the Holocaust and the only use of nuclear weapons in warfare, it was the deadliest conflict in human history, resulting in 50 million to over 70 million fatalities.

Isabel met Morris Hinam, an officer with the Winnipeg police. During WWII Morris was a mechanic with the RCAF No. 12 Squadron, stationed in England for almost 6 years. After the war Morris returned to the Winnipeg police force.

Doug bought the first automobile in the family in 1940. It was a 1930 Chevy with a rumble seat. His sister Jean remembered always having to ride in the rumble seat, and that she and her sister were not to drive the car. Doug also took a wartime job at Anthes Foundry making parts for the air fields.

Starting in 1941 the Canadian government imposed strict wage and price controls. Beginning in 1942, it rationed many commodities such as meat, sugar, coffee, gasoline, rubber and textiles. For the rest of their lives the Halliday's would be affected by this. Jean was known to save rubber bands for instance.

Jean married Howard Bretz in September, 1940 at the Halliday home on Beresford. For a more detailed account of their lives together see the Western Bretzes. At the wedding, Doug's fiance Ruby caught the bouquet.

Doug joined the RCAF in June 1941. At first he was stationed at Toronto, Trenton, and Mountain View, Ontario. He then was transferred to Claresholm, Alberta where he worked as a clerk at a military hospital, largely on account of his knowledge of shorthand. Doug applied for permission and married Ruby Cadle on December 6th, 1941. In May 1942 Doug recieved orders to transfer to RCAF headquarters in London, England, but his doctor refused to sign them on account of treating him for stomach ulcers. Doug was soon discharged for medical reasons. He had attained the rank of Corporal.

Isabel married Morris Hinam in April, 1943, at the family house on Beresford. He held the rank of Sergeant.

Jean went to live with her mother and father after Howard was sent overseas to war in late 1943. She had young Gordon with her, and was also pregnant with David at the time, so very much could use the help of her parents. She was also expected to pay a portion of her earnings to them for the food and rent.

Andy and Elizabeth lived at Sherbourne Street after 1943. When Jean and Howard bought their first house on Downing Street in 1944, Jean had to work and Howard was at war, so Andrew would walk over every day to check on the progress of the construction and to ensure it was sound.

The Great Red River Flood of 1950 was a very memorable event for all residents of Winnipeg. From its early settlement the city had dealt with the local rivers and streams overrunning their banks in the springtime, but May 5th of that year was one for the record books. Some residents called it Black Friday. Eight dikes gave way and flooded much of the city, turning 1,600 km2 of farmland into an enormous lake. The city turned to the Canadian Army and the Red Cross for help. In the end, four of eleven bridges were destroyed and nearly 100,000 people had to be evacuated from their homes and businesses. This was the largest evacuation in Canadian history until that time. One result of the flood was the construction of the modern spillway system around the city.

During the flood, Douglas' family stayed at both their aunt Isabel's and their Cadle grandparent's homes because the basement of the Rosedale apartments where they were living was full of water. Every night Doug would come home after sandbagging and building dikes, plus working all day at his job. 

This photo to the right shows Elizabeth Halliday with two of her grandchildren, Gerald and Dianne, taken at Christmas 1953.

Andrew and Elizabeth moved to a Morley Street apartment block in the 1950s. Their grandchildren only really remembered them at that location. This image shows the Halliday couple around 1950.

Radio was a big form of entertainment for the Halliday families in the late 40s and early 50s.

After the war, Douglas got into working for the automotive parts industry as a saleman, and was quite successful. In 2000 Doug wrote down some of his work experiences. Below is an excerpt from the period around 1950;

Manitoba Bearing was primarily a motor bearing company that was just getting into ball and roller bearings so I applied and got the job.  The owner’s son was working there but that was no problem as he wasn’t the smartest person.  His Dad was surrounding him with people who could run the business for him.  About two years later it was very quiet so the owner suggested that I go and call on some of the customers to see if we could get any more of their business.

I came back with so many orders that all of a  sudden I was a Sales Rep.  That started my new career.  I sold motor rebuilding, camshaft grinding, engine parts and bearings.  I got Dryden Paper Co., Ontario Department of Highways, and most of the garages in the territory.  Every time I sold motor rebuilding they also needed a clutch assembly.  AS I was, by now, selling Brake Drum their clutch release bearing I took the orders for clutches and gave them to Brake Drum. 

One day I got a call from Brake Drum to drop in.  When I did I was handed a cheque equal to my commission on the clutches I had sold.  This went on until June, 1952.  I was supplying my own car and just getting expenses, so I sold it and told them if they wanted me to travel they would have to supply a car.  They did - an old 1947 Dodge in so-so shape.  I could see them that I would always be at the end of the line. so I had better start looking around while I was still young.  In November, 1952 I told Brake Drum that I probably would not be calling on them anymore as I was looking for another job.  I gave my notice at Manitoba Bearing that I would leave at the end of the year.  During the first week in December, I received a call from Brake Drum that Don Betts wanted to see  me.  Don explained that they had never had a salesman but seeing how much clutch business I had brought in, they would like me to work for them.  If it did not work out I would be given a job inside.  I accepted.

Andrew Halliday died June 13th, 1953 from a heart attack. He was just 62. Elizabeth, much like her own mother's reaction to the death of Samuel years earlier, was devastated. Douglas Halliday was moving his family into a new home at 549 Rosedale Avenue the same day his father passed away. His parents were going to come and live with them as their health was poor and they could no longer live on their own in the Morley apartments.  Elizabeth did join them for the next three years, but died a few years later in May 1956 at age 64. Her and her husband were buried together at the Elmwood cemetery.

In 1960 Douglas Halliday was part of the Canadian Legion Curling Playdowns in Souris, Manitoba.

Jean traveled to Scotland around 1967 and visited with many of her parent's relatives in Dumfries. Doug and Ruby made a similar trip in 1970.

Morris Hinam died on December 31st, 1993.

Doug's wife Ruby passed away in 2002.

Doug met Ing (Ingeborg Nyhuus), while at the Waverly retirement community. She and Doug shared 7 loving years together, and their relationship created a renewed sense of purpose in Doug's life.

Ing passed away in 2009 and soon afterward Doug left his longtime home of Winnipeg to go to Edmonton, where his children and their families lived.

Jean Halliday Bretz would live until 2005 and leave behind three children, six grandchildren, and six great grandchildren. She is buried with her husband Howard at Elmwood cemetery.

Isabel Halliday Hinam would pass away in 2009 and left behind three children, and five grandchildren. Her and Morris Hinam's ashes are at Chapel Lawn Funeral Home in Winnipeg.

Douglas Halliday passed away in early 2013 near and left behind two children, four grandchildren, and five great grandchildren. He was cremated and a service held at the Chapel Lawn Funeral Home in Winnipeg.


Not a lot is known of the Farish cousins and their descendants. Some of them did move to Vancouver around 1960 where they stayed for many years. David Bretz recalled that when he was young, his family would have dinners with Jim and Alice Farish and their kids while both families lived there. He remembers that once, while he and his mother were shopping for Christmas oranges before a dinner, they found a bizarre insect crawling about the fruit, and made a note to take it to show Don Farish, who was interested in bugs. Don eventually would go on to become an accomplished etymologist and zoologist. Today he is President of Roger Williams University in Rhode Island.



Shown here are some of the locations of the Winnipeg Halliday and Farish families.